Click here for instructions on how to activate DUO if you have a new device with the same phone number as your old device.
Before Enrolling Your Smartphone
- Have your charged smartphone with you.
- Have access to a desktop or laptop computer with an internet connection.
- The enrollment process starts from your laptop or desktop computer.
- A few steps in, you will switch to using your smartphone to scan a QR code.
- You can enroll more than one device in the enrollment session.
1. Add a Device
- Log in to CalNet Account Manager and select Manage 2-Step Verification from the menu on the left. Or click here to navigate directly to it.
- Click Start setup in the Device Control Panel.
(Note: If you’ve already enrolled a primary device, you will be prompted instead to Choose an Authentication Method.
Choose Passcode or Duo Push, and perform the appropriate verification actions, which will take you to My Settings and Devices. Then select Add Another Device, which appears as a small link below your current list of devices.)
- Select Mobile Phone and click Continue.
- Enter your phone number, including area code. Example: (555) 555-5555.
- Be sure to click the checkbox next to This is the correct number when it appears. Click Continue.
- What type of phone is <your phone number>? Select your type of phone, then click Continue. Your operating system and phone choices are: iPhone (Apple IOS), Android (Samsung, Google, LG, Sony, etc.), Windows, and Other (includes cell phones).
Note: If you have a basic cell phone (a phone that cannot download apps), choose Other (and cell phones) and follow the instructions for enrolling a basic cell phone.
At this time, you will use your smartphone to download the Duo Mobile app. To locate the app, follow the links on the Duo website or, depending on your type of phone, go to the Apple Store, Google Play Store or Windows Store.
- Search for the free “Duo Mobile” app and download it.
- Open the Duo Mobile app. For “Duo Mobile” Would Like to Send You Notifications, click Allow so that Duo Mobile can send you push notifications (account access approval requests).
- Click Add Account. Click OK to let Duo Mobile access your camera, which will be used for scanning the barcode.
3. Link Your Smartphone to Your Account
For these next steps, you will need to switch between your computer and your smartphone to scan the barcode that links your smartphone to your CalNet ID account.
- On your computer, click I Have Duo Mobile Installed.
- Point your smartphone’s camera at the QR barcode on your computer screen to scan the barcode. (What is a QR barcode? It’s that square with all the squiggles.)
- Once you have successfully scanned the QR barcode, a green check mark will pop up on the QR code to confirm that your smartphone device is linked to your account. Click Continue.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully enrolled your smartphone. Now when you log in to campus systems with your CalNet ID, you will be prompted for a second-step verification. Click Send me a Push and go to the Duo Mobile app on your phone to approve. (See How to Do the CalNet 2-Step for more information.)
Be sure to get your backup passcodes! Click here to find out how.