Important Notes about using the Guest Application
- Email addresses that are already affiliated with any type of CalNet account cannot be used to create a new guest. If you attempt to sponsor a guest who's email is already affiliated with a CalNet account, you may not get an error message -- but, your guest will not be able to activate their account. In this case, contact email@example.com for additional assistance.
- Guests who attempt to activate their account and experience an error that their token is invalid will need to be deleted and re-invited. You must email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to have the guest deleted in order to reinvite them.
- Although it may appear that sponsors can delete guests in the guest application, doing so does not actually delete delete guests from the CalNet system. If you need to delete a guest, email email@example.com to request assistance.
- The guest application is old and buggy, but as long as you are patient with it and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you experience trouble, you should be able to invite guests as you need to.
- If you extend a guest, it can take up to an hour to take effect. You cannot extend a guest that has already expired.
- Guests with all numeric email address handles cannot be invited using the guest system. Example: email@example.com will not result in a working guest account. If you have a guest with an all-numeric email address handle, you must obtain an alternative email address for the guest and use that to send the account invitation.
A sponsor needs three pieces of information in order to invite a Guest: First name, Last name and their non-Berkeley or personal email address. Follow the instructions below to create a guest account.
Instructions for Creating a Guest Account
Guest account sponsorship duration may be any amount of time from one week to one year from the creation date. When a guest account expires, it must be deleted by the CalNet team before the guest can be re-invited. If your guest expires, email the guest's UID to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. You can extend your guest BEFORE it expires using the Guest Account app.
No, you will need to contact email@example.com for assistance. The GuestApp may make it appear that you can delete a guest yourself, but the deletion will not move across all systems.
Adding Guests to bCourses falls under the purview of the bCourses support team. Contact the bCourses Request Help page for assistance.
Before you attempt to add a Guest to bCourses: Your Guest must successfully activate their CalNet Guest Account before you add them to your course in bCourses. Your Guest will use their CalNet Guest ID and passphrase to access bCourses as well as other campus CalNet-based web services.
No. Guest accounts cannot be converted or combined with other CalNet accounts.