Any UC Berkeley employee can sponsor a CalNet Guest account. Guest account sponsorship duration may be any amount of time from one week to one year from the creation date.
If your guest's account expires, you cannot extend it. Email their UID to firstname.lastname@example.org to have the expired account deleted so you can send your guest a new account invitation.
A sponsor needs three pieces of information in order to invite a Guest: First name, Last name and their non-Berkeley or personal email address. Follow the instructions below to create a guest account.
Instructions for Creating a Guest Account
- Click on Invite Guest.
- Enter First name, Last name and their non-Berkeley or personal email address.
- Select Reason to Sponsor from the Pull Down menu.
- Enter Comments, if applicible (limit comment to under 20 characters).
- Select the Expiration Date.
- Check the Policy box.
- Click Submit.
You must be the CalNet Guest account's sponsor in order to extend the Guest. A sponsor can extend a Guest for up to one year at a time. To extend a Guest, log in to the CalNet Guest account creation application and:
- Click on the arrow on the right hand side of your guest's information:
- Click Change Expiration from the pull down menu.
- Click on the calendar from the pop up window.
- Select the new expiration date by clicking a date on the calendar.
- Click the Update button at the bottom of the pop up window to confirm.
Guest account sponsorship duration may be any amount of time from one week to one year from the creation date. When a guest account expires, it must be deleted by the CalNet team before the guest can be re-invited. If your guest expires, email the guest's UID to email@example.com for assistance. You can extend your guest BEFORE it expires using the Guest Account app.
No, you will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. The GuestApp may make it appear that you can delete a guest yourself, but the deletion will not move across all systems.
Adding Guests to bCourses falls under the purview of the bCourses support team. Contact the bCourses Request Help page for assistance.
Before you attempt to add a Guest to bCourses: Your Guest must successfully activate their CalNet Guest Account before you add them to your course in bCourses. Your Guest will use their CalNet Guest ID and passphrase to access bCourses as well as other campus CalNet-based web services.
No. Guest accounts cannot be converted or combined with other CalNet accounts.