What are the differences between Direct Members and Users with Delegated Access?
- Are active campus employees, affiliates or students
- Have administrative access to their CalNet SPAs, including:
- Adding or removing other Direct Members in CalGroups
- Giving access to SPA-affiliated bMail accounts via Delegated Access
- Logging directly into the affiliated bMail account to send email from the SPA.
- Creating a bConnected key to access the affiliated bMail account from a mobile device
- Each CalNet SPA can have any number of Direct Members
- The Department, not a user, owns a SPA
- Users with Delegated Access have limited access rights to the SPA. They:
- Can access the bMail account affiliated with the SPA via their own bMail account.
- Can send email from the SPA-affiliated bMail account.
- Cannot manage membership in CalGroups
- Cannot delegate access to others.
- The bMail account is owned by the department, not the user.
SPA Roles and Access
Set up using SPA Admin tool
|Direct Member||Full access and control of the associated bConnected account.||Can see all bConnected properties||All services that accept a CalNet ID can potentially accept a SPA CalNet ID for authentication.||Yes, To create SPAs and manage membership, use the Special Purpose Accounts Admin App.||Can allow a CalNet ID to have multiple users that can share this SPA CalNet ID with others in their department for authentication purposes. Can anonymously send email directly from the SPA-affiliated bMail account.|
|Delegated access role in bConnected||Limited Access to account. Can not log in directly to the account and can not give any access to others.||Has the ability to view the email account only within their personal bmail account from the pull down menu on the upper right hand side only.||bConnected via their personal bMail only||No||Can read and send email from this account. Emails sent via delegated access show sender "SPA@berkeley.edu (sent by firstname.lastname@example.org)|
To create SPAs and manage membership, use the Special Purpose Accounts Admin App. SPAs are intended for collaboration and sharing. SPAs, their contents/data, and the shared email account are owned by the institution and the primary department of the employee who creates the SPA at the time the SPA is created.
If you have any questions regarding SPA CalNet IDs, contact email@example.com.