Step Up to Better Security - do the CalNet 2-Step!
What Is 2-Step?
CalNet 2-Step Verification helps you ensure that you are the only person that can access your CalNet account, even if someone gets your password. You will log in using your CalNet information and as a second step, reconfirm your identity using a verification device of your choosing, like a phone or tablet. Here’s how it works.
All staff and faculty were required to enroll with 2-Step by April 16, 2018. Students are eligible to enroll, too, but are not (yet) required.
How Do I Get Started?
Don't have a smartphone? See other options for 2-Step Devices
Do you think your passphrase alone is enough to keep identity thieves from getting into your account? Think again! You could be at risk of having your passphrase stolen if you:
- click the links in email messages
- download software online
- infrequently change your passphrase
- use the same passphrase for multiple accounts
If an identity thief steals your CalNet ID and passphrase, they can:
- delete your contacts and files
- lurk in your email account to get information about your work
- use your account to get to your personal accounts (bank, credit card, etc.)
- impersonate you to gain access to your contacts’ accounts
- divert your paycheck to themselves