A CalNet passphrase must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum length of 9 characters (maximum 255). It may also include spaces (which is why we call it a passphrase).
- It must contain characters from at least three of the following four character groups:
- English uppercase (A through Z)
- English lowercase (a through z)
- numeric digits (0 through 9)
- non-alphanumeric characters (such as !, #, or %)
- Without regard to case, the passphrase may not contain your first name, middle name, last name, or your CalNet ID itself if any of these are three characters or longer. See also the document Passwords must meet complexity requirements for the CalNetAD passphrase rules with which all CalNet passphrases also must be compatible.
- Any time you change your passphrase, the new one may not be the same as any previous passphrase.
- As of Jan 1 2014, the passphrase will need to pass a passphrase dictionary (CrackLib) test. The passphrase dictionary contains common passphrases such as "password1" and "123QAZwsx" as well as words in a standard English dictionary.