A CalNet passphrase must meet the following requirements:
- A minimum length of 9 characters (maximum 255). It may also include spaces (which is why we call it a passphrase).
- It must contain characters from at least three of the following four character groups:
- English uppercase (A through Z)
- English lowercase (a through z)
- numeric digits (0 through 9)
- non-alphanumeric characters (such as !, #, or %)
- Without regard to case, the passphrase may not contain your first name, middle name, last name, or your CalNet ID itself if any of these are three characters or longer.
- Passphrases cannot be reused. The system will reject reused passphrases.
- The passphrase will need to pass a passphrase dictionary (CrackLib) test. The passphrase dictionary contains common passphrases such as "password1" and "123QAZwsx" as well as words in a standard English dictionary.